I met Andy last month when she asked me to make three pillows for her modern couch. You can read that post here.
We had a leftover piece of the Pierre Frey linen and decided to use it to make another pillow for her bed.
Andy had the custom headboard made by Room and Board. She asked them to send a dozen memo samples of the linen that she chose for the upholstery.
I used the 5″ memos to create the diamond pattern on the pillow face. I drew it on paper first.
Using my paper pattern I cut out the diamonds in the linen. Then I backed it with muslin and zig zagged the edges around with the sewing machine. I cut the remaining linen into strips, pulled the threads to fringe it and zig zagged all around these pieces so I can put them all through the wash and dry.
After washing and drying I unstitched my muslin and placing the little linen squares on the back, I zig zagged again around the diamonds. I always back my pillow pieces with muslin and cut out the corners so they don’t get too bulky to sew.
I trim the corners like this so they are not too pointy.
I used the fringe pieces to detail the edge seam.
Also……………….I made a new slipcover for a cool chair in her son’s bedroom. This chair from Design Within Reach, comes with a black leather cover. Andy brought me the leather cover and I made a new pattern.
The fabric we chose is a nubby silk from Bergamo.
I took another photograph of the modern couch in her living room. You can see how I repeated the motif in her rug when I made the reverse applique on the linen pillows.
The little squares on the long rectangle pillow are made with memo samples of the couch linen. She got the couch also from Room and Board.