Joni is a rare friend and client of many years. She allows me to create freely and if I ask to buy some special trims she says “sure, go right ahead”.
She asked me recently to make some new lampshades for her master bedroom.
I’d been wanting to make a new embroidery for a lampshade and this was the perfect project. I started by cutting strips of my linen to make vertical panels and I drew some bare outlines of flower shapes.
I did the outlines and then filled in the colors freehand.
I wanted the panels to cover the ribs of the lampshade frame.
When the embroidery was finished I decided to edge them with a layer of picked fringe.
I used trim from Samuel & Sons at the top and bottom edges.
What a pleasure it was to finish this!
On the two bedside tables, Joni has this pair of Staffordshire dog lamps. We had made this pair for her son’s bedroom about five years ago and now they have found a new home.
When I originally made them they had a darker trim, a layer of black linen trim from Brunschwig and a layer of brown Samuel & Sons. This was too heavy for the new room so I pulled it off.
I’m repeating the picked linen fringe with a blue wool yarn running stitch.
I’m trying this out.
But………. I like it better with the addition of the original brown Samuel & Sons trim. Now they are perfect, much lighter.
In the dressing room, Joni found this pair of ceramic lamps.
Recently this pair of vintage lampshades came my way and they are perfect.
I stripped the frames and we chose a linen sheer from Larsen that has yellowish silky tufts.
I was planning to use the trim plain around the bottom, but at the last moment I thought I would experiment with the addition of a ruffle and layer the Samuel & Sons trim on top.
At either end of the dressing table are a pair of sconces that needed shades.
I love to make tiny lampshades because I can make them out of the smallest bits of fabric. I had a discontinued memo sample from Schumacher but it was too white.
I mixed up some rit dye in a big bowl.
That did the trick………….it’s no longer white.
I underlined each piece with a beige cotton.
And finished them with trim from Janet Yonaty.
Also in the dressing room, Joni wanted to set this lamp on a narrow shelf. I just happened to have one tiny last piece of a Rose Tarlow linen left from an earlier project. Coincidentally, Joni had chosen the same Rose Tarlow wallpaper to do the walls here. You can’t see in the photo, but I added a little embroidery with french knots to the floral pattern in the stripes. The trim is Samuel & Sons.
The lamp in this nook has a shade made with a shirred silk from Scalamandre and the trim is Samuel & Sons.
A similar lamp in the nook by the tub received the same treatment with Scalamandre silk but the trim here is antique.
What a pleasure it was to deliver these yesterday!