I made a pair of lampshades for my client, Kristeen Church Interiors in Aspen. These are made for a matching pair of wrought iron lamps, one a floor lamp and one a small table lamp. The fabric is a screen printed cotton from Classic Cloth and the trim is Samuel & Sons.
Remember the antique chair with the needlepoint that I worked on while I was recovering on the couch from my broken kneecap? After I finished that project Eileen asked me if I would be interested in doing a cross stitch kit. I’ve never seen these kits and I must say my first thought was, ”a kit……..heck no!”.
But, I like to keep my mind open to new possibilities. I told her I would do a square inch and see how long it took me and give her an estimate for the whole project.
The size of the finished canvas is 11″ x 15″. There are 400 stitches per square inch and since it’s a cross stitch, double that.
It took me 8 hours to do a square inch.
I gave her an estimate…………..she agreed.
I started january 25 and I work on it every day.
You see there’s no printing on the canvas, it’s all done from a diagram. I think this may be the most difficult thing I’ve ever done.
It seems as I’ve gotten older I need less sleep. I’ve always been an early bird and this bird now wakes up at 4am and can’t wait to get to this crazy addictive little project.
The hardest part is when you make a mistake and you have to find the wrong count and go back and correct it.
This is just like doing a “paint by number” kit but painting with a brush that has only one hair.
I’ve been working for 14 weeks so far, the end is in sight. Finishing the cross stitching is not the end though, there is lots of stitching to do on top, outlining and french knots. I’ll be a few more weeks on this. I have to finish the tree in the left top corner and the sky between the buildings.
I know where this is going to lead……………I’ll plan my own drawing and use this technique………….. maybe not on this small scale……….maybe bigger canvas or linen burlap with wool yarn. I don’t know yet but I’m looking forward to it.