Mary is designing a guest bedroom for her client and asked me if I would quilt a throw for the bed.
Mary chooses fabrics like no one else. It’s always a surprise to see what she comes up with. The lavender check is a linen and cotton blend from Chelsea Editions, the trellised border on the bottom left is linen from Rose Tarlow, the green is Boussac and the paisley print from Brunschwig. I’m going to make rosettes too, the sample one I made in the picture is from a piece of vintage french cotton.
So, how are we going to put all these beautiful fabrics together? I’m starting by quilting the check to a backing of orange cotton. I basted the layers together with a lightweight batting and machine quilted along the lines of the check.
After the quilting is finished I cut the flanges out of the paisley.
I cut the Rose Tarlow trellis into strips and backed it with the green Boussac.
I sewed the borders so they crossed at the corners.
Rosettes…………..40 of them, 20 for the front and 20 for the back. I snipped and sewed………….
then put them through the washing machine, sewn into a bag so I wouldn’t loose them. When I took them out, I thought, Oh no!!………I’ve ruined them! But I picked the lint and fluffed them up and they came out just fine.
The rosettes add the finishing touch. Notice that the paisley is hand-stitched with blue wool yarn.
And, of course, it’s as pretty on the back as it is on the front!
Remember the pillows I made a couple months ago? The blog post here. It’s not likely that I’ll see this bedroom because it’s not in Seattle so we just have to visualize all these parts that I made.
Another pillow for the bed……………Mary chose a tapestry from Kravet, linen from Clarence House, some vintage trim and cord from Mokuba.
It all went together like this……….the white crewel is the bedspread. The lavender throw is folded at the end of the bed.
I made pompoms for the corners and crocheted the Mokuba cord to sew all around.
The upholstered chair in the room is kind of mauve and needs a pillow too.
We repeated the Kravet tapestry and added the grey textured weave from Malabar and some dyed wool yarn and more Mokuba cord.
I like to crochet this chunky cord.
I made the knotted balls with the same cord.
Instead of sewing a trim in the seam, I pinched it and sewed a running stitch with wool yarn.
I sewed the little balls on.
And finished it off with french knots in the corners with the wool yarn and one more pompom as a zipper pull.
Mary found a green ceramic lamp for the guest room and I made the lampshade with the mother of pearl button trim that we love so much.
Thanks Mary, what a fun project!